Preview of Your Coming Attractions

When I retired after 40 years of writing columns for the San Jose Mercury News, I figured I'd said about all I could say. Wrong. I've realized that at age 76, I'm about 10 years older than the oldest baby boomers, who are now turning 66. My very average body has had a lot of experiences in those 10 years. I've learned a lot that could be helpful to people just starting on that same path -- what to do, what to avoid, what to keep an eye on.. Consider me your canary-in-the-coalmine for the boomer generation. Tune in regularly for the heads-up advice.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Here's Looking at Us


     It’s intriguing how our perspective changes as we age.
     I remember when I was a little kid, wishing fervently to get older. Second-graders had more status than first-graders. And they were bigger.
     Later, when I was a teen-ager, I yearned to be 21 so that I could drink legally. Not that legalities actually were stopping me much at the time.
     Then, when I was 21, I’d get annoyed if someone would ask for my ID. I was a certified adult. Didn’t I look the part?
     For a long time thereafter, I didn’t think about the passing years all that much. But there came that time at O’Hare Airport in Chicago when a server carded me, even though I clearly was way, way over 21. She explained that her boss had told her to card everyone, no exceptions. I didn’t mind. It still felt sort of good.
     And now that I’m old enough for senior discounts at most places, I certainly want to take advantage of that privilege. I’m willing to admit I’m over 65 right there in public and ask for the discount. I don’t even get upset when I’m told that I’ve already been given the discount without my asking. I’d hate to look too young and miss a discount because I’d forgotten to bring it up.
     How about you? Are you happy with your age now?
     You should be. Eventually, it pays.

No comments:

Post a Comment