Preview of Your Coming Attractions

When I retired after 40 years of writing columns for the San Jose Mercury News, I figured I'd said about all I could say. Wrong. I've realized that at age 76, I'm about 10 years older than the oldest baby boomers, who are now turning 66. My very average body has had a lot of experiences in those 10 years. I've learned a lot that could be helpful to people just starting on that same path -- what to do, what to avoid, what to keep an eye on.. Consider me your canary-in-the-coalmine for the boomer generation. Tune in regularly for the heads-up advice.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year


     Looking forward to what’s ahead in the new year? I can almost guarantee you that if you’re not, you won’t have too many more years, old or new.
      Researchers have found that people who anticipate what’s to come tend to live longer than those who dwell in the past. My personal experience bears this out.
     My mother-in-law has spent her life looking forward. She’s interested in her next book, her next bridge game, her next meal. She keeps up with the news of the world around her, not the remnants of days gone by. She’s curious about life and the other people in it. And I’d say this attitude has served her pretty well over time. She’s only 101. The key word there, she’d agree, is “only.”
     On the other hand, I’ve known people for whom life in high school was about as good as it got. They largely much spent their time looking back at what had gone before, unhappy with the prospect of things to come. Not that their worry about the future did them much good. They’re no longer around to see it.
     Life, obviously, is full of choices. You can choose to embrace what’s here and now and whatever is to come. Or you can choose to lament the loss of the good old days, sure that life will never be that good again.
     Face it: the good old days weren’t really all that good. Work to make the new days better, and you’ll see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment